Temperature and the time before birth

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I got a cat that didn’t have a home 2 months ago. She was skinny and eating alot. When she gained weight I also noticed her belly was getting rounder and rounder. And for 2 weeks ago I could feel kittens moving inside her belly. I think she has her duedate these days, but can’t see any signs. She is eating a lot, but more today than the last days. The last days she has been eating little but more often. Her temperature was 99,14 in the morning yesterday. And 1before I was going to bed. I took the temperature now, and it’s back on 99,86. I do not understand what’s going on. She is cleaning her self all day, want’s me to rub her belly, and also a swollen vulva. Her belly is hard, and sometimes it get pretty hard so you can see the contour of the babies. Also her belly is lower and just hanging there :p Some days ago she was also in and out of her box that I made for her.
But my big question is… the temperature, isn’t it strange that it went down to 99,14 then up to 100,4 , then down to 99,86 again?
Just to clarify: I am not going to let her out before i spay her :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops! And 100,4 before I was going to bed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jusst wanted to thank you for caring for her, she is so lucky! The temp drops before birth, so she may be in the early stages of labor. It can still take a few days though. I alwasy go by how they are acting to tell if everything is normal. If she is not in distress, not meowing loudly and pacing, not hiding, those are all good signs everything is going OK. I wish her and you the very best!

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jusst wanted to thank you for caring for her, she is so lucky! The temp drops before birth, so she may be in the early stages of labor. It can still take a few days though. I alwasy go by how they are acting to tell if everything is normal. If she is not in distress, not meowing loudly and pacing, not hiding, those are all good signs everything is going OK. I wish her and you the very best!
Thank you so much! I’ll do everything for her, such a sweet cat❤ Okay, so far she is very calm. Just a little bit more restless today. So what you are saying is that her temp can be low over several days, and that might be the drop?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temps USUALLY drop below 100F 12-24 hours before labor starts. But I've seen it vary. That is an average. She must be close!! Was she ever below 100 degrees earlier?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her belly is lower, the kittens must have dropped, which can still be a few days befroe birth. The fact that her stomach is getting hard is a sign of prelabor.

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Temps USUALLY drop below 100F 12-24 hours before labor starts. But I've seen it vary. That is an average. She must be close!! Was she ever below 100 degrees earlier?
To be honest.. I have never checked her temp before, it was something my vet told me I could do. So yesterday was the first time. I just think 99,14 is very low to be a normal temperature for cats. 😅 Not that I am an expert..

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If her belly is lower, the kittens must have dropped, which can still be a few days befroe birth. The fact that her stomach is getting hard is a sign of prelabor.
Okay, thank you! I think her belly dropped two days ago. It seems like she is has ball hanging under, like a pear figure

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Checking temperature is not that helpful I’ve found. She’s close. She’ll have them when her body is ready no matter how many times you check her temperature.

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Checking temperature is not that helpful I’ve found. She’s close. She’ll have them when her body is ready no matter how many times you check her temperature.
Yes. She is still pregnant. But her belly seems smaller and milk is leaking. I saw that 3 days ago

Catwoman26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No kittens yet. She was nesting like crazy yesterday. Not eating that much, just a little. She is grooming herself a lot and seems stressed, but at the same time she is calm. I took her temp yesterday and it was 37,9. Today it was 37,3 in the morning. And now it was 37,6. She is HUGE and her stomach seems very hard sometimes, like I can see the babies if that makes sense? Also last week she started leaking milk.
The waiting game is not a fun game😒