Advice appreciated with trapping stray cat that has stopped/slowed eating

yolin_art

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,

I appreciate any advice on trapping a stray cat that has stopped eating the past two days.

The background (sorry too long and apologies for grammar and runoff sentences):

I fed a spayed cat, Sandy, in the backyard for a minute. During the winter, she came inside and I have kept her inside. I am introducing her to my two other indoor cats.

Because I fed her outside, another cat I named Justo would also visit and wait by the backdoor for breakfast and dinner. He started coming around last year. Other cats sporadically came (fixed and some not fixed). Justo chased one away permanently, but others came to a mutual understanding (after being chased away one time) and still visited though erratically. I got distracted with another cat, Timoteo, that was not doing as well as he on the streets (see my only other thread) but I did start feeding Justo close to a trap and then time ran away from me and the heat came. Justo has long fur, really full hair, so I paused on trapping attempts. I live in Texas, and it gets really hot. Then the cold came. Sometimes it gets really cold (temps will drop fast and sometimes it will stay cold, other times they will change to the next day like spring time). I set some straw bedding near the door and Justo made good use of it during the winter. I wanted to trap Justo just around this time March/April when the weather is not too cold or too hot. Aside from some rain that prevented my first trapping (my trap started to rust), I was now ready and waiting to time it just right.

Just my luck, another cat started visiting. He was ravenous for food, and it took a couple of weeks for him to learn the feeding schedule and to trust me. I call him Cirilo. He chased away the other cats that came sporadically. He got scratches on his head and body. Cirilo would wait by the shed and Justo would wait by my door. I fed them a distance from each other. As we were crossing the month and a half mark, Cirilo and Justo started prefighting after eating. I always hung around their mealtimes and intervened until one time they prefighted/fought before eating. This occurred recently about a week and a half ago. I got to them before it escalated to full fledged fighting but they each swiped and hurt each other (Cirilo got a deeper head wound and Justo appears to have just gotten scratches). They both ate during this visit. Cirilo first and then Justo after Cirilo left. Afterwards, I did not see them in the morning or evening for several days. Cirilo has just started coming for breakfast and dinner. The past three days, he now waits for me as the prefight schedule. Justo has not returned.

Cirilo always ate everything (about a can of Friskies and one of Fancy Feast, he always left behind some of the can(s) though). He always ate as he had not been fed. He has some nose scratches and his head wound is healing slowly.

I contacted a vet to see if he would treat Cirilo given that Cirilo is injured. I don’t want the city to euthanize him (my city runs a TNR program) or for the other option, the Texas Coalition for Animal Protection, a low cost alternative, to deny him treatment due to injury. Thankfully, the vet will help, and I want to trap Cirilo as soon as possible. I set a trap for him and started feeding him near it as soon as he came back for feedings. Cirilo started slowing down on his food intake starting about a day and a half ago. This morning, he got near the food and just smelled it and licked his lips. I tried to temp him with chicken, beef, and smelly fishy food. I offered him different textures, pate/shreds. He finally had a couple of dried cat pet food in a different flavor than usual this morning. He did not take any bites of wet or dry cat food for dinner :( .

He may have found another food source or he may be sick from his injury or he may be sick from something he ate. He appears alert and has calm breathing. His eyes are clear and focused.

I am worried and frustrated. I also so wish for my Justo to come back. I hope and pray that he is okay. I am worried about trapping Cirilo without a food incentive. I can't open my house to him as I am full of cats now. I have Sandy in the only available room for cats as I am introducing her to my other two cats. The other two inhabit the rest of the house. I can't keep Cirilo in a garage either.

I have taken a minute and typed my predicament here in this community. I know I have made mistakes (waiting too long to TNR Justo, then waiting too long to trap Cirilo). I am open to learning and doing better.

Any advice for how to help him is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yolin_art

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Cirilo was waiting for me this morning. I offered him two different flavors of wet food and two different flavors of dry food. He is a nice calm fellow when he is not being territorial (but I hesitate to manually handle him even though I do have some specialty gloves). He licked his lips when he smelled the food, and he approached and sniffed all offerings. He did not eat anything. He let me pet him and I had to step aside quickly so that he would not mark me. Sitting here at the keyboard, I am realizing that he did get to me (ugh :confused:). I have a good cleaning homemade peroxide solution so I will get that ready.

He walked away after a few seconds, and then he went over and munched on some grass. He marked some other areas in the backyard and walked away completely. I think he may have an upset stomach. This is the only thing that is giving me hope right now. He only had some dry cat food yesterday so this will mark about 24 hours since he ate something in my presence. He may be eating somewhere else too. I know cats don't do as well as other animals with not eating. I know appetite stimulants exist, but I am quite limited in how to treat him/help him given his free status.

I am going to try to disguise the trap as a large paper bag. An idea I got from a different post here when I was looking through some other threads. Other cats walk through here. I just want to trap the right cat. I am limited on time as I work and study part time. I may not have time to really stake out until the second week of May. In my other post, when I mentioned I can't open my house to him, I meant I can't just let him walk in and then take my time to trap him from inside the house. If I can get him trapped, I can have him isolated in a room and help him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yolin_art

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,

There is some good news at the end of this post.

Cirilo visited yesterday evening. I approached him with food as he did not come near it. I swiped some broth near his mouth two times. He only licked it away, and I failed to tempt him to at least have some bites. I left and went back inside the house. I could see him out the window sleeping in the same location I left him until darkness came. Sick cats hide, right? He could not be too sick if he was sleeping alfresco for the whole backyard to see.

I was very distraught. A person braver than me would scruff him or use one of those blankets over the cat tricks to get him in the trap I've seen on Youtube. But I don't have that skill set, and these are dangerous maneuvers.

I googled for professional animal trappers or if they exist professional cat trappers. I am trying to think outside the box. I reached out to a rescue group on Facebook that really seems to be active and helpful with trapping assistance. It was late evening so I have not heard a reply yet. I know the chances of help are low. Last time I tried to help an injured cat, I was even reaching out to rescue groups in surrounding cities. I already had the cat trapped and under medical care, but outside from kind responses (links and advice) from a couple of them, aid did not really materialize. I understand rescue groups are overwhelmingly busy. As time has passed, I am just trying to expand my skill set so that I can rise to the occasion.

Anyways, excuse my ramblings.

This morning, Cirilo was waiting for me. I approached with some fish. He got down from his spot and approached me. He had not done this the past few days. He had a few bites of the fishy meal I offered! I was so happy!!!! He only had a couple of bites but it appear like he was still hungry. I offered him some dry food. He ate some of it too. I observed closely to see if he had any teeth/mouth issues that would be evident to my untrained eyes. None appear to exist. He ate a little bit of the dry food then smelled a different cat food flavor I had offered him. It appears he is not too partial to Friskies Turkey flavor (at least not right now). After this, he walked away. I can work with him eating a little bit. I can work with this just fine.

I hope to update next time with news of me having him trapped, cared for, and TNR.

Thank you for listening to me. You all have a nice day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - I apologize that we missed your thread and haven't given you a reply. It sounds as though whatever his issue is, hopefully it isn't too bad since he ate on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to hearing that he is better and that the other cat you're watching out for returns :vibes::crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, please update us on this. As an unofficial caretaker of a handful of local feral cats, I am aware of how they enter your heart when they enter your yard for food. You watch for them, wait for them, and worry about them.