From feral cat to domesticated cat - Progress

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My family have recently adopted this feral cat who never had human interaction before. He never let any of us touch him, but he was really struggling in the streets so we decided to get him some help. A local cat organization trapped him and neutered him, he had to have his teeth removed because they were severely infected. :( He's been living with us now for almost a month, I would like to share with you guys a video of him, maybe it might melt your heart to see his progress :redheartpump::redheartpump: ...his name is Ruff by the way :

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My family have recently adopted this feral cat who never had human interaction before. He never let any of us touch him, but he was really struggling in the streets so we decided to get him some help. A local cat organization trapped him and neutered him, he had to have his teeth removed because they were severely infected. :( He's been living with us now for almost a month, I would like to share with you guys a video of him, maybe it might melt your heart to see his progress :redheartpump::redheartpump: ...his name is Ruff by the way :
May Ruff live a long, happy, comforted, LOVED life with your family! Every cat is a treasure. So glad he is doing well now!:redheartpump::climbcat::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
May Ruff live a long, happy, comforted, LOVED life with your family! Every cat is a treasure. So glad he is doing well now!:redheartpump::climbcat::redheartpump:
Thanks and I hope so too,when he was taken to the vet, ,he was diagnosed with FIV, not so sure how long cats with FIV live, but we will try to keep him as happy as possible because that truly plays a role in lifespan :redheartpump: :angel:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all,

Thank you for saving Ruff and for giving Ruff a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life and hope that his health improve soon. Bless your heart.

Ruff,
1714760934138.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks and I hope so too,when he was taken to the vet, ,he was diagnosed with FIV, not so sure how long cats with FIV live, but we will try to keep him as happy as possible because that truly plays a role in lifespan :redheartpump: :angel:
Like every other living being, it is unknown how long anyone will live. Cats with FIV can and do live long, happy, basically healthy lives with good care, safety, and love. Wishing that for adorable Ruff! :redheartpump: :climbcat: :redheartpump:

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving Ruff and for giving Ruff a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life and hope that his health improve soon. Bless your heart.

Ruff,
View attachment 475550
Thank you for the kind words and wellness wishes. I will pass this along to Ruff. :heartshape: He has improved a lot, his fur back then was dry and brittle and now it looks smooth Pantene soft and silky. Hoping he continues to be in optimal health.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like every other living being, it is unknown how long anyone will live. Cats with FIV can and do live long, happy, basically healthy lives with good care, safety, and love. Wishing that for adorable Ruff! :redheartpump: :climbcat: :redheartpump:
That is good to hear that FIV cats can live long happy healthy lives. Ruff is starting to groom himself in front of us. :clap2: This is a good sign. It's only been almost a month, but he is slowly getting accustomed. We have also trained him to walk out of his cage by leaving his food 1ft away from his cage. I think he could be exploring our house at night time when we are asleep because we see that he has been using the litter box that is outside of his cage (he also has one inside the cage). Here is a recent photo of him, he has been exposing his paws to us and being in relaxed position lately:
52844.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good to hear that FIV cats can live long happy healthy lives. Ruff is starting to groom himself in front of us. :clap2: This is a good sign. It's only been almost a month, but he is slowly getting accustomed. We have also trained him to walk out of his cage by leaving his food 1ft away from his cage. I think he could be exploring our house at night time when we are asleep because we see that he has been using the litter box that is outside of his cage (he also has one inside the cage). Here is a recent photo of him, he has been exposing his paws to us and being in relaxed position lately:
View attachment 475594
Ruff is very handsome! Those are all good signs. A great UPdate. :redheartpump: :yess:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I loathe when people say that ferals cannot be transitioned to indoor life. That is just flat not true. What IS true is that most people don't have the time, and sometimes don't have the patience, to undertake this. I am thrilled that Ruff found his way to people who have BOTH! You're doing a wonderful job with him, and I suspect very strongly that a big part of that is that you are respecting him for who he is, and meeting him on his own terms.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loathe when people say that ferals cannot be transitioned to indoor life. That is just flat not true. What IS true is that most people don't have the time, and sometimes don't have the patience, to undertake this. I am thrilled that Ruff found his way to people who have BOTH! You're doing a wonderful job with him, and I suspect very strongly that a big part of that is that you are respecting him for who he is, and meeting him on his own terms.
SO true. Cats are mammals like us, and we are all hard-wired to be social, interactive, and affectionate to one another, especially in family situations. It takes time for cats -- as it should for us! -- to learn that some people merit trust.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yes animals deserve respect too. :redheartpump: We don't want to force him or pressure him, but at the same time, we want to see progress and so we try to create an environment that will give him an opportunity to progress slowly but surely. And I think some cats can be transitioned to indoor life and there are some that cannot. Depends on the cat and also depends on the environment/home of the pet owner. But at the end of the day, we just want to be aware, be observant and do what will make him the happiest while keeping him safe. From my experience, I know that safe doesn't necessarily mean being happy. ;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, EXCELLENT! He's such a brave boy, with a lot of help and support from you! Yes, I really think that the joys of human hands will come in time! I take care of, as best I am able, three feral tom cats (all neutered now), and the elder two will sometimes allow me to stroke them. Took me three years to get there, but it was worth every moment. Of course, they are living outdoors, so it's much slower, but...he'll get there!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 476092
progress- Ruff has been going outside of his cage a lot more lately and even staying out for hours 😎 still doesn’t want to be petted though….this part will take time 👍
Awwwwwwww! He looks very scared and intimidated in that pic. But time, love and patience will hopefully result in him being able to take a chance on trust and the loving relationship you want with him. In shelters, they use a "hand tool" to reach out and stroke scared cats. If you have anything like a soft feather duster or other long, non-threatening thing you can try to stroke him with that puts a safe distance between him and the big scary hooman, you might try it.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, EXCELLENT! He's such a brave boy, with a lot of help and support from you! Yes, I really think that the joys of human hands will come in time! I take care of, as best I am able, three feral tom cats (all neutered now), and the elder two will sometimes allow me to stroke them. Took me three years to get there, but it was worth every moment. Of course, they are living outdoors, so it's much slower, but...he'll get there!
Yes, he is a brave cutie! We are surprised how fast he is getting used to his environment. ;) How were you able to get the feral tom cats to be accustomed to your touch? Did you use some sort of touch stick in the beginning?

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww! He looks very scared and intimidated in that pic. But time, love and patience will hopefully result in him being able to take a chance on trust and the loving relationship you want with him. In shelters, they use a "hand tool" to reach out and stroke scared cats. If you have anything like a soft feather duster or other long, non-threatening thing you can try to stroke him with that puts a safe distance between him and the big scary hooman, you might try it.
We bought a toy that has a stick and feather, he seems scared of it. We are thinking of using treats and have our fingers and eventually our whole hand be associated with rewards. If that doesn't work, we will look into that "hand tool". :salam:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a toy that has a stick and feather, he seems scared of it. We are thinking of using treats and have our fingers and eventually our whole hand be associated with rewards. If that doesn't work, we will look into that "hand tool". :salam:
Each cat, like each person, is unique, and we can never know what their background has been/what has caused triggers. My Elvis runs from the broom, when I carry it into a room to brush away cobwebs. :sigh:

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zoey was terribly afraid of doors. She had a broken bone before we adopted her. Shelter found her on the streets. She was not younger cat. So who knows what her life had been. It was kitten season and everyone just walked right past her. Luckily for us! Older cats can really be wonderful babies to have in your life.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey was terribly afraid of doors. She had a broken bone before we adopted her. Shelter found her on the streets. She was not younger cat. So who knows what her life had been. It was kitten season and everyone just walked right past her. Luckily for us! Older cats can really be wonderful babies to have in your life.
Absolutely! I always say large/adult/mature cats are every bit as cute/irresistible/adorable as kittens, but in a larger size. Almost all of the cats in my life have been rescued from "the streets" and those who haven't have been adult/mature cats. I've never gone looking for kittens. Two locations ago, my ex and I funded the casting of a little guy who sustained an injury because of a screen door. His family weren't wealthy and we weren't either, but we were in a position to help, and we did so. That little guy healed and hopefully never had any trouble with doors after that.