Really affectionate and then anxious/aggressive?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone

Just wanting to seek some insight/experience from you all here about my humphreys recent weird behaviour.

So lately, he's been showing some weird behaviour at night time. What will happen is he'll get really meowy wanting me to go into the kitchen. Once I go in there, he is super loving and affectionate - rubbing his head on my legs and knees and being really cute.
As soon as I leave the kitchen:

1. The first time he swatted me on the back of the leg, no claws or scratches though just his paw + the behaviour below
2. Second time (no swatting) he'd run like lightening onto my bed and then sit there with this really really weird, anxious and kind of aggressive look - no hissing or growling though, just ears pinned back and dilated pupils

It's so odd? Is he just being a cat? I have noticed he's been more angsty lately and meowing more than usual, but this can change day to day and he's normally a super even tempered cat. There's just so many things it could be, I know. But i want to get your opinions on it.
This behaviour only happens during the night and never during the day.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To me, it sounds like he might want you to play with him. Some cats (depending on personality and schedule) get what I call "The Nighttime Wilds" and will get a little hyper and need to burn energy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Do you feed him in the kitchen? What is his feeding schedule, and if this behavior only recently started has there been a change in the schedule or the food you are feeding him?

It might also be helpful to know how old Humphrey is and how long you have had him in case either of those things might have some bearing his behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Do you feed him in the kitchen? What is his feeding schedule, and if this behavior only recently started has there been a change in the schedule or the food you are feeding him?

It might also be helpful to know how old Humphrey is and how long you have had him in case either of those things might have some bearing his behavior.
Hey there

Yes I do feed him in the kitchen, his feeding schedule is morning 5am, auto feeder goes off and he has his dry food. He'll graze throughotu the day on dry food which i tip into his bowl in the kitchen so not the auto feeder.

At night I feed him his wet food in his bowl in the kitchen. The scheduling hasn't changed, it sbeen like this for ages now, he's 2 years old so it could just be him going through some moody teenage energy? Thanks for replying

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a variation of the zoomies to me and a request for play. You could grab a handful of toys and toss the. one by one at him on the bed and see if he starts to play.