Not eating her regular food

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, hope everyone is doing well.
My cat phoebe ( female , 1.5 years old , 2.5kg) after a day of her annual rabies vaccination, stopped eating her regular wet food ( purina chicken gravy ). I gave her treat and she is eating that and i just now ordered sheba wet food and she ate that too but she isnt eating her regular food from 2 days anymore. She is hungry and was biting me to give her food but she would sniff her old food and walk away.
what could be the issue all of the sudden? I took her to vet today and got her injection for appetite . Suggestion and advice helpful please

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey,
Well Phoebe is eating some Sheba so that is good. You took her back to the vet..... did they think it was a reaction to her shot? They usually feel better and are acting like themselves in 24 hours. If she stops eating all together take her back to the vet. I hope she feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,
Well Phoebe is eating some Sheba so that is good. You took her back to the vet..... did they think it was a reaction to her shot? They usually feel better and are acting like themselves in 24 hours. If she stops eating all together take her back to the vet. I hope she feels better soon.
Hi,
So she didn’t stop eating altogether but she did stop eating the food i was feeding her altogether ( purina wet food ) so now im confused why the sudden withdrawal?? How do i make her eat it? Ive like 70 boxes of it 😭.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could put some treats in a (well.washed) pepper grinder to sprinkle on top.

She might come back around to it. Some cats just like change.

If she doesnt, id call Purina and see about making an exchange to another type of Purina food or returnit.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So she didn’t stop eating altogether but she did stop eating the food i was feeding her altogether ( purina wet food ) so now im confused why the sudden withdrawal?? How do i make her eat it? Ive like 70 boxes of it 😭.
Depending you where you bought the food you could see if you can return it.Chewy US or Canada are usually very good about returns.
Main thing is to get her back to eating regularly.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain meat baby food, chicken or turkey, is always my go-to when my kitties aren't eating their regular food. Then, I'll try mixing in some of their regular food with the baby food, not too much. She most likely is feeling the after effects of the shots. If she continues to not eat over the weekend, get her back to the vet first thing Monday.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely contact her vet again Monday if she is not eating well. You can try baby food like turkey just make sure to check the ingredients to make certain the brand has no garlic or onions as they are toxic to cats.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she’s not eating anything or very little then it’s definitely a call/trip to the vet.

If it’s just that she won’t eat the purina - it could be a phase.
Orange will always stop eating whatever food he had around a stressful time (like a vet visit). Sometimes we have to change flavours but can stick with the same brand, others we have to go with something else all together. Often he’ll come back around, but we just switch it out until he’s ready.
our local stores are pretty good about exchanges, especially if you can stick to the same brand/style and just change the flavour.
Hopefully that works for you

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she’s not eating anything or very little then it’s definitely a call/trip to the vet.

If it’s just that she won’t eat the purina - it could be a phase.
Orange will always stop eating whatever food he had around a stressful time (like a vet visit). Sometimes we have to change flavours but can stick with the same brand, others we have to go with something else all together. Often he’ll come back around, but we just switch it out until he’s ready.
our local stores are pretty good about exchanges, especially if you can stick to the same brand/style and just change the flavour.
Hopefully that works for you
Okay so she had 2 trips to vet for her vaccination, last just a day before she stopped eating purina. I bought her kitten purina food ( wet ) yesterday and she inhaled it like never before. But now she isnt eating neither of the kitten or the sheba she ate a day before. I’m so confused on what’s happening? She is very active , is grooming sleeping and everything. She is hungry but refuses to eat anything whenever she wants to. I’m afraid she is sick but vet said she isnt??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep a log of her behavior, litter box usage, her play, and her eating habits. She could just be reacting to the shots, but she could've picked up something at the vets from all the stress. She could also be reacting to the shots. Have you tried baby food yet?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep a log of her behavior, litter box usage, her play, and her eating habits. She could just be reacting to the shots, but she could've picked up something at the vets from all the stress. She could also be reacting to the shots. Have you tried baby food yet?
Baby food as in? Human baby food?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sounds like she is nauseous, If you think about it. She eats a food and then feels bad, she won't want to eat that food again. I don't agree with your vet that she isn't sick. It sounds like something is going on with her. If your vet doesn't take it seriously, then find another vet. Preferably a feline only veterinarian,

Is she the kind of cat that plays with hair ties or anything that she could have ingested and caused an obstruction?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sounds like she is nauseous, If you think about it. She eats a food and then feels bad, she won't want to eat that food again. I don't agree with your vet that she isn't sick. It sounds like something is going on with her. If your vet doesn't take it seriously, then find another vet. Preferably a feline only veterinarian,

Is she the kind of cat that plays with hair ties or anything that she could have ingested and caused an obstruction?
Not the obstruction again :( I’ve already had 2 incidents of her eating foreign objects before.
but now i think about it, it could be she is nauseous. How would other vet know whats going on? Tests!!? Another ultrasound?? It already costs too much. She eats treats whenever i give her. She is playing and everything too but yeah she isnt eating that much

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has a history of eating what she shouldn't then it is very possible she has done that again. The way the vet determines if there is an obstruction is by X-ray and or ultrasound. Cats have to feel really sick before they show signs of illness.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she has a history of eating what she shouldn't then it is very possible she has done that again. The way the vet determines if there is an obstruction is by X-ray and or ultrasound. Cats have to feel really sick before they show signs of illness.
This is gonna be really overwhelming if she has eaten something unwanted again. But she isn't throwing up or anything and she eats sometimes , ah i dont know! I can’t afford her going for another tests and everything. What else do i keep lookout for? If she inhaling the sheba one so do i get her that and feed regularly for 2 days and see if she eats regularly!!??

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet again for further examination and they said she doesn’t have any symptoms of obstruction or anything else. The reason she wasnt hungry on the first day was because of the vaccine the day before and then i switched foods rapidly in 3 days ( purina adult to sheba to purina kitten ) hence she has lost her appetite or whatever made her picky.
aftet the vet she had kitten food in the bowl and she happily ate it.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I agree unfortunately you may need a second opinion from a different vet

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet again for further examination and they said she doesn’t have any symptoms of obstruction or anything else. The reason she wasnt hungry on the first day was because of the vaccine the day before and then i switched foods rapidly in 3 days ( purina adult to sheba to purina kitten ) hence she has lost her appetite or whatever made her picky.
aftet the vet she had kitten food in the bowl and she happily ate it.
Hope she is continuing on this road of feeling better.